Are you worried that your new patio or deck will seem a little…exposed? Not every home has the type of yard that makes a secluded patio or deck seem possible. However, if you want privacy and seclusion, there are many options at your disposal.
Giving Yourself a Little Privacy
Making a patio or deck invisible or barely visible to passersby or neighbours isn't difficult. Here are three things you can try.
1. Add some greenery – You can add plants, trees, and foliage around your patio. High shrubs can work well. There are various techniques for accomplishing this. In fact, there are whole growth systems that fall under titles like "privacy hedges" and "evergreen screens." There are also fast growing trees that many use for this specific purpose.
2. Put up lattice walls – A few lattice walls can work great for privacy. By themselves they can cover a lot, but you can also hang things from them or use climbing plants to intertwine through the latticework. You can also use lattice walls to skirt your deck if you want to cover up what's underneath it.
3. Erect privacy walls – Privacy walls come in all shapes, sizes, and designs. You can get very creative with their placement. This category also includes privacy fences. There are wood walls, slatted walls, fabric screens, and an infinite number of other types.
Each of these things can work alone, or you can mix and match them. For example:
- You can put up slatted walls around your patio or porch
- You can add in some flowering vines that creep through the slats
- Outside the walls, you can have plants or trees
All of these things combined will help you keep your patio or deck private and secluded. An added benefit is that all of these suggestions will add to the look and feel of your deck or patio. In the case of the greenery, you can also add natural scents.
Each of these suggestions can also bring shade to your outdoor area. You may need the help of a landscaper to get it just right, but that's not a necessity.
Keep These Suggestions in Mind
But before you do any of these things, you need to have a professional contractor build your deck or patio for you. Work with the contractor to try to figure out the best placement. Keep these privacy suggestions in mind. You can use them to help you decide exactly where your new feature should go. To get started, contact a company like Desert Sun Patios Ltd patios.Share